The linked documents have been provided as a means to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a noncommercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or by other copyright holders, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. It is understood that all persons copying this information will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by these copyrights. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
- e-print & (2021). Active forgetting: Adaptation of memory by prefrontal control. Annual Review of Psychology, 72, 1-36. »
Jui, J., Hulbert, J.C., Feng, Q., Wei, D., Qiu, J., & Yang, W. (Resubmitted). Functional connectivity between right-lateralized ventrolateral prefrontal cortex and insula mediates reappraisal’s link to memory control. Journal of Affective Disorders.
- Fawcett, J. M.* & Hulbert, J. C.* (2020). The many faces of forgetting: Toward a constructive view of forgetting in everyday life. Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, 9(1), 1-18. »PDF
- Open Access (2020). Does retrieving a memory insulate it against memory inhibition? A retroactive interference study. Memory, 28(3), 293-308. »
- Beier, E. J., Janata, P., Hulbert, J. C., & Ferreira, F. (2020). Do you chill when I chill? A cross-cultural study of strong emotional responses to music. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts. »Preprint PDF
*equal contribution authorship
- Open Access (2018). What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger: Psychological trauma and its relationship to enhanced memory control. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. »
- Rafidi, N. S., Hulbert, J.C., Brooks, P.P., & Norman, K.A. (2018). Reductions in retrieval competition predict the benefit of repeated testing. Scientific Reports, 8, 1174. »Open Access
- Hulbert, J.C., Hirschstein, Z., Brontë, C. A. L., & Broughton, E. (2018). Unintended Side Effects of a Spotless Mind: Theory and Practice. Memory, 26(3), 306-320. »PDF
- Gangnepain, P., Hulbert, J. C., & Anderson, M. C. (2017). Parallel regulation of memory and emotion supports the suppression of intrusive memories. Journal of Neuroscience, 37 (27), 6423-6441. »Open Access
- Abstract »PDF (2015). Neural differentiation tracks improved recall of competing memories following interleaved Study and retrieval practice. Cerebral Cortex, 25(10), 3994-4008. »
- Abstract »PDF (2015). Adaptive top-down suppression of hippocampal activity and the purging of intrusive memories from consciousness. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 27(1), 96-111. »
- Abstract (2004). The role of scene and syntax in mental verb learning. Res: Journal of Undergraduate Research and Writing, 1, 74-97. »